Pozole is a fantastic Mexican soup, that has all the rich and meaty flavors that bachelor’s love. This is traditionally a meal you make in bulk and invite lots of people over to enjoy it with. You can make this for all your roommates, or make it and freeze the leftovers for a later date.
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 5 hours
- Pork Loin (1.5-2lbs)
- Chicken Leg Quarters (4lbs)
- Hominy, Mexican Style (~100oz)
- Chicken Stock/Broth (64 oz)
- Water (5 cups)
- Chicken Bouillon (I like Knorr’s Caldo con Sabor de Pollo)
- Menudo* Spice Mix
- Green Cabbage (chopped small)
- Radish (sliced thin)
- Red Chile
- Lime (cut into quarters)
- Bolillo Rolls
- In a large pot add the Pork Loin, Chicken Stock/Broth, and Water; and heat on High to bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to Medium and continue to cook at a low boil.
- After 2 hours, add Chicken Leg Quarters and Chicken Bouillon* (see note below). Continue at a low boil.
- In the last hour of cooking, shred the meat (be sure to pull out the bones of the chicken and discard). Once the meat is shredded, add the Hominy.
- Serve with Oregano, Green Cabbage, Radish, Red Chile, Lime, and Bolillo Rolls.
- Menudo and Pozole are very different! So don’t tell anyone your using a Menudo spice mix. But in my local grocery stores, they only sell a “menudo” mix–no “pozole” mix. So I use the menudo spice mix and just add extra Oregano.
- If you don’t add enough bouillon, the pozole will taste watery.
- If you add too much bouillon it will be really salty (but you can fix that by adding more water).
- Start with a few generous shakes of bouillon and when the pozole is almost finished taste it and see if it needs more.
- The Oregano is what really gives it a signature pozole flavor, so make sure to add that in.
- If you want to store this as leftovers, its best to store all the garnish and toppings separate from the soup.
Thank you for visiting Bachelor Cooking. If you enjoy these easy, cheap, or quick recipes, then please link to us on your favorite social network (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest, etc.).