The word “Carnitas” translates from Spanish to “little meats” it’s most commonly used in reference to small pieces of pork–but recently I started making it with beef and it’s great for so many meals. Try this easy recipe out for yourself and impress your dinner guests.
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 2.5 hrs
- 3lbs of Beef (Shoulder or Roast)
- 2.5 cups of Water
- 2 tbspns of Vegetable Oil
- 3 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 an Onion (chopped)
- 5 tbspns of Carne Asada Seasoning
- 2 tbspns of Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 pinch of Oregano
- Trim the fat off the meat and then cut it into large bite sized pieces.
- Drop the meat in a dutch oven with the oil over medium-high heat and brown for just a couple minutes; stirring frequently.
- Remove the meat and add the onion and garlic, stirring until golden and tender.
- Add the meat back into the dutch oven. Add the water and the seasonings (Carne Asada, Crushed Red Pepper, Bay Leaves, & Oregeno) and lower heat to low; simmer for 2 hrs.
- Remove the lid and turn the heat up to medium as it “cooks down” (let the water boil and evaporate out). Stir occasionally.
Tips & Tricks:
- Serve on tortillas with onion and cilantro for some delicious tacos.
- Serve on Avocado Halves for a delicious and easy meal.